Eton mess series.
- Additional Title(s):
- [Canterbury, Kent] : Dizzy Pragnell, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet ; 8 x 49 cm, folded to 8 x 7 cm, in covers 9 x 8 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.P73 A3 2013c Flat AYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "Eton mess : ... a dessert consisting of whipped cream, pieces of meringue, and fruit (typically strawberries)"--Oxford English Dictionary.
Artist's book. A single sheet of accordion-folded Somerset handmade paper, bearing an abstract fruit and herbs print. The sheet is folded lengthwise (before the accordion fold) so that the print appears on both sides of the concertina. Affixed at both ends to covers in black book cloth. A black paper wrap-around bears a white label printed with the title, author's name, and date.
"My work encompasses papermaking using vegetables and fruit, book art and printmaking. Within my work I use food in many different guises and find the most exciting thing about this medium in print making is the unexpected results. The colours and textures are randomly created throughout the process. When I begin a piece I am never sure what the outcome will be, the layering of sliced vegetables and fruit forms independent organic imagery. Using food as a medium I am attempting to explore the use of food as a metaphorical image of the essence of human nourishment. The vegetable and fruit papyrus is the result of experimentation trying to create an edible surface on to which one could print. The overlapping cut sections of vegetable or fruit matter laminated to create a unique paper are works of art in themselves and therefore need no further embellishment ..."--Artist's statement.
BAC: British Art Center copy accompanied by artist's original price tag--looped with white string--bearing the title "Eton mess." Signed by the artist on both sides of the print.
- Subject Terms:
- Desserts -- Great Britain.Food.Plants -- Nutrition.Puddings -- Great Britain.
- Artist's books.
Accordion fold format (Binding)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.