Rowlandson's characteristic sketches of the lower orders : intended as a companion to the New picture of London : consisting of fifty-four plates neatly coloured.
- Additional Title(s):
Characteristic sketches of the lower orders
- London : Leigh and Son, 421 Strand, [1840?]
London : Printed by Robson, Levey, and Franklyn, 46 St. Martin's Lane, [1840?]
- Physical Description:
- iv pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 19 x 30 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 41Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BAC: British Art Center copy bound in later green morocco, by Sangorski & Sutcliffe. Paper is watermarked: J. Whatman. Turkey Mill. 1840. The etches plates have not been divided into component leaves, so that sets of six illustrations (on 9 sheets, or 18 leaves) appear on facing leaves. The preliminary letterpress pages are inset to size.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- England.Clothing and dress -- England -- London -- Pictorial works.Cries -- England -- London.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Peddlers -- England -- London -- Pictorial works.Robson, Levey, and Franklyn -- Printer.Satire, English.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1840.
YCBA Collections Search
Rowlandson, Thomas, 1756-1827, Rowlandson's characteristic sketches of the lower orders , [1840?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.