IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Charron, Wm. (William), A description of the freedom box, voted by the City of London to the Hon. Augustus Keppel, admiral of the Blue , 
A description of the freedom box, voted by the City of London to the Hon. Augustus Keppel, admiral of the Blue : to which is prefixed a succinct account of his public services.
- Additional Title(s):
Admiral Keppel's Freedom Box voted him by the City of London 1779
- London : Printed for the artist, Wm. Charron, little Marlborough Street, Argyle Buildings; J. Newman, Goldsmith, No. 49 Lombard Street, and S. Hooper, No. 12, Dukes Court, Mewse-gate, 
- Physical Description:
- vi, 22 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA87.1.K47 D34 1779+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Author's dedication signed and dated: Wm. Charron. November 1779.
Engravings by Joseph Collyer; after John Bacon and William Charron.
A reissue of the issue of the  edition with similar pricing, with the former pp.-14 excised and the rewritten text inserted and now numbered -14.
Printed by the Etheringtons.
Four plates depict (at actual size) the designs on the box, showing its top, front, sides (identical), and back.
The title page and dedication are engraved.
The verso of the 'Advertisement' leaf is numbered vi.
"Price plain 7.6. Colour'd from 10s. 6d. to £2.2"--Foot of title page.
English short title catalogue, T154330
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-stamped red morocco with blue inlay; gilt edges. Contains 4 copies of each of the 4 plates illustrating the box, with variant colorings: uncolored; uncolored and printed in sepia; with yellow and marroon hand-coloring; and with yellow and blue hand-coloring and gold illumination. Title on front cover: Admiral Keppel's Freedom Box. Title on back cover: Voted him by the City of London 1779. Bookplate: Lord Stanley of Aldesley. Inscribed: Theodore Davidson from Sir Philip Currie K.C.B. 1st of Feb. /87. Inscribed on recto of t.p.: The account of Admiral Keppel's services is by Edmund Burke.
- Subject Terms:
- Admirals -- Great Britain.Aldesley, Lord Stanley -- Bookplate.Charron, W. -- Publisher.Currie, Philip, Sir -- Pres. insc. to Thomas Davidson, 1887 Feb. 1.Davidson, Thomas -- Pres. insc. from Sir Philip Currie, 1887 Feb. 1.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1779.Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1779.Etheringtons -- Printer.Hooper, S. -- Publisher.Keppel, Augustus Keppel, Viscount, 1725-1786.Newman, J. -- Publisher.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.