Twelve pleasing views down the River Thames, and prospects at sea, published 2d. March, 1773
Twelve pleasing views down the River Thames, and prospects at sea [graphic].
- [London] : Printed for Carington Bowles, map & printseller, no. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, published 2d. March, 1773.
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from top margin of print 1.
"Book 1" of 31 sets of prints published by Carrington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carrington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
Bowles, C. Carington Bowles's new and enlarged catalogue of useful and accurate maps, charts, and plans. London, 1784, page 131
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- Subject Terms:
- London (England) -- Pictorial works.Rivers -- England -- Pictorial works.Ships -- Pictorial works.Thames River (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Engravings -- 1773.
- 1. A view taken near the store house and dock yard at Deptford
- 2. A view taken near Limehouse-Bridge, looking down the Thames
- 3. A view of Blackwall and Dock Yard, looking towards Greenwich
- 4. A view of Woolwich and Dock Yard, in the county of Kent
- 5. A view of Purfleet, in the county of Essex
- 6. A view of Northfleet, in the county of Kent
- 7. A view of Gravesend, in the county of Kent
- 8. A view of Tilbury Fort, in the county of Essex
- 9. A view of the Downs, in the county of Kent
- 10. A view of the town and castle of Dover, in the county of Kent
- 11. A view of the town and fortifications at Portsmouth, in Hampshire
- 12. A view of Lynn Regis, in the county of Norfolk.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.