Genius genuine / by Samuel Chifney of Newmarket : a fine part in riding a race, known only to the author : why there are so few good runners, or, why the turf horses degenerate : a guide to recover them to their strength and speed, as well as to train horses for running, and hunters and hacks for hard riding, to preserve their strength, and their sinews from being so often destroyed : with reasons for horses changing in their running : likewise a full account of the Prince's horse Escape, running at Newmarket on the 20th and 21st days of October 1791, with other interesting particulars.
- [London] : Sold only for the author, 232 Piccadilly, [1803?]
London : Shury, printer, Berwick Street,
- Physical Description:
- vii, , 12-170 pages ; 22 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF345.N49 C45 1803Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 80
BEIN Uzfe72 G5 795c: Armorial bookplate of David Wagstaff. Full calf gold-tooled binding with inner dantelles.
BEIN 2004 693: Imperfect: pages 89-92 (leaves M2-M3) wanting, replaced by blank leaves. Armorial bookplate of Henry B.H. Beaufoy. Four autographed letters by Chifney tipped in at back; two are addressed to a Mr. Willis; in one of them Chifney refers to the publication date being delayed until Oct. 12, 1803.
Signatures: [A]⁴ B-X⁴ Y²(-Y2).
"From unforseen circumstances the author has been prevented publishing this book at the time intended."--Verso of half-title.
Printer's statement from verso of half-title.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in later 19th century morocco. Bookplate: John M. Schiff. Has laid in: Mr. Samuel Chifney / engraved by R. Woodman, from a sketch by Mr. Benjn. Marshall. London : M.A. Pittman, March 1, 1828.
- Subject Terms:
- Beaufoy, Henry Benjamin Hanbury, 1786-1851 -- Bookplate.Chifney, Samuel, ca. 1753-1807 -- Autograph.George IV, King of Great Britain, 1762-1830.Horse racing -- Great Britain.Horses -- Training.Schiff, John M. -- Bookplate.
- Dentelle bindings (Binding)
YCBA Collections Search
Chifney, Samuel, approximately 1753-1807, Genius genuine , [1803?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.