IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Seymour, James, 1702-1752, Seymour's twelve prints of hunters & running horses, [between 1771 and 1785]
Seymour's twelve prints of hunters & running horses [graphic] : taken in various actions.
- [London] : Printed for Carington Bowles, map & printseller, in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, [between 1771 and 1785]
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Title from top margin of print 1.
"Book 4" of 31 sets of prints published by Carington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
Bowles, C. Carington Bowles's new and enlarged catalogue of useful and accurate maps, charts, and plans. London, 1784, page 142
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Hunting -- England -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1771-1785.
- 1. The hunter taking a flying leap, over a five-bar gate
- 2. The hunter rising to a five-bar gate, at a standing leap
- 3. Fox hounds, going out in the morning
- 4. The stables, & two famous hunters, belonging to His Royal Highness the Duke of York
- 5. The stables, & two famous running horses belonging to His Grace the Duke of Bolton
- 6. The stables, & two famous running horses, belonging to His Grace the Duke of Grafton
- 7. The stables, & two famous running horses belonging to Sr. Jas. Lowther Bart.
- 8. A horse courser selling a nag. Caveat Emptor
- 9. Old partner beat the following horses at gread odds, Vizt.
- 10. Brushing in to catch others
- 11. Aaron & Driver, two famous running horses
- 12. The return from a course on Lambourn Downs, near Ashdown Park in Berkshire.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.