Twelve views of gentlemens seats & gardens by Woollett &c, [between 1771 and 1785]
- Twelve views of gentlemens seats & gardens by Woollett &c [graphic].
- [London] : Printed for Carington Bowles, map & printseller, no. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, [between 1771 and 1785]
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from top margin of print 1.
"Book 8" of 31 sets of prints published by Carington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
Engravings after William Woollett, William Hannan, and Luke Sullivan.
Bowles, C. Carington Bowles's new and enlarged catalogue of useful and accurate maps, charts, and plans. London, 1784, page 132
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- 1. A front view of the Earl of Westmorelands villa, in the county of Kent, taken from the road with part of the park -- 2. A view of Woobourn in Surry, the seat of Philip Southcote Esq. -- 3. A view of Coombank, near Sevenoak in Kent, the seat of the Honble. Lieut. Genl. Campbell -- 4. A view of Foots-Cray Place in Kent, the seat of Bourchier Cleeve Esqr. -- 5. A view of Oatlands in Surry, the seat of the Right Honourable the Earl of Lincoln -- 6. A view of Esher in Surry, the seat of the late Right Honourable Henry Pelham Esqr. -- 7. A view of Cliefden in Buckinghamshire, the seat of the Right Honourable the Earl of Lincoln -- 8. A view of the house and part of the garden of His Grace the Duke of Argyle at Whitton in Middlesex -- 9. A view of the canal and of the Gothic Tower; in the garden of His Grace the Duke of Argyle at Whitton in Middlesex -- 10. A view of the lake, &c. taken from the center walk, in the garden of Sr. Francis Dashwood Bart. at West Wycomb, in the county of Bucks -- 11. A view of part of the garden at Hall-Barn, near Beckonsfield, in Buckinghamshire; a seat of Edmund Waller Esq. -- 12. A view from the west side of the island, in the garden of the Honble Charles Hamilton Esqr. at Painshill, near Cobham in Surry.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Early works to 1800.Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Country houses -- England -- Pictorial works.Gardens -- England -- Pictorial works.Suburban homes -- England -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1771-1785.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.