Twelve scripture pieces of the life and miracles of our saviour, Jesus Christ, [between 1771 and 1785]
Twelve scripture pieces of the life and miracles of our saviour, Jesus Christ [graphic].
- [London] : Printed for & sold by Carington Bowles, no. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, [between 1771 and 1785]
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title from top margin of print 1.
"Book 10" of 31 sets of prints published by Carington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
Bible verse printed beneath each title.
Bowles, C. Carington Bowles's new and enlarged catalogue of useful and accurate maps, charts, and plans. London, 1784, page 144
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- Subject Terms:
- Bible. New Testament -- Illustrations.
- Engravings -- 1771-1785.
- 1. The Angel appearing to the shepherds
- 2. The Nativity
- 3. Joseph fleeth into Egypt
- 4. The miraculous draught of fishes
- 5. Martha and Mary
- 6. Christ raiseth Lazarus
- 7. Christ talking with a woman of Samaria
- 8. Christ restoreth a blind man to his sight
- 9. Peter delivered out of prison
- 10. The Last Supper
- 11. The crucifixion
- 12. The resurection of Christ.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.