Cleveley, John, 1747-1786, Twelve views in Kent, published 1 Octr. 1770
- Twelve views in Kent [graphic] / drawn from nature by J. Cleveley Junr = Douze vües en Kent / tirées d'aprés nature par J. Cleveley Junr.
- [London] : Printed for Carington Bowles, map & printseller, no. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, published 1 Octr. 1770.
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from top margin of print 1.
Parallel titles in English and French.
"Book 12" of 31 sets of prints published by Carington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
Bowles, C. Carington Bowles's new and enlarged catalogue of useful and accurate maps, charts, and plans. London, 1784, page 132
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- 1.A. A view at Lewton near Chatham in Kent = Vüe de Lewton, aupres de Chatham en Kent -- 2.A. A view of Southend in Kent = Vüe de Southend en Kent -- 3.A. A view at Lewisham, in Kent = Vüe à Lewisham, en Kent -- 4.A. A view of the water-mill, near Lewisham in Kent = Vüe du moulin à l'eau, aupres du Lewisham en Kent -- 5.A. A view between Chatham and Lewton in Kent = Vüe entre Chaham et Lewton en Kent -- 6.A. A view near Rainham, in Kent = Vüe proche de Rainham, en Kent -- 7.A. A view at Lewisham, in Kent = Vüe à Lewisham, en Kent -- 8.A. A view near new cross Deptford in Kent = Vüe aupres de la nouvelle croix à Deptford en Kent -- 9.A. A view near the red house, Deptford in Kent = Vüe proche de la maison rouge, à Deptford en Kent -- 10.A. A view at Hoo in Kent = Vüe à Hoo en Kent -- 11.A. A view near Frinsbury, in Kent = Vüe proche de Frinsbury, en Kent -- 12.A. A view of a mill near Blackheath in Kent, by moonlight = Vüe d'un moulin auprès de Blackheath, a la clarte de la lune.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Kent -- Pictorial works.Country life -- England -- Kent -- Pictorial works.Kent (England) -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Landscapes -- England -- Kent -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1770.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.