Twelve views of the Great Canal of Venice [graphic] = Douze vües du Grand Canal de Venise.
- Additional Title(s):
Douze vües du grand canal de Venise
- [London] : Printed for Carington Bowles, map & printseller, no. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, [between 1771 and 1785]
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from top margin of print 1.
Parallel titles in English and French.
"Book 14" of 31 sets of prints published by Carington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
Bowles, C. Carington Bowles's new and enlarged catalogue of useful and accurate maps, charts, and plans. London, 1784, page 136
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Italy -- Venice -- Pictorial works.Boats and boating -- Italy -- Venice -- PiIctorial works.Bridges -- Italy -- Venice -- Pictorial works.Canals -- Italy -- Venice -- Pictorial works.Church architecture -- Italy -- Venice -- Pictorial works.Gondolas -- Italy -- Venice -- Pictorial works.Grand Canal (Venice, Italy) -- Pictorial works.Venice (Italy) -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- between 1771-1785.
- 1. A view of the Great Canal opposite St. Clare to the Church of the Holy Cross = Vüe du Grand Canal, vis a vis St. Claire jusqu'a l"Eglise de Sainte Croix
- 2. A view from the Church of the Holy Cross to the bare-footed Camelites = Vüe de l'Eglise de Sainte Croix jusqu'aux Carmes dechauses
- 3. A view from the Palace of Flangini, to that of Bembo = Vüe du Palais de Flangini, a celui de Bembo
- 4. A view from the Palace of Bembo, to that of Frimani Calergi, now Vendrameno = Vüe du Palais de Bembo, a celui de Grimani Calergi, a present Vendrameno
- 5. A view from the Church of St Eustathias, to the buildings of Rialto = Vüe de l'Eglise de St. Eustathe, jusqu'aux edifices de Rialto
- 6. A view from the Palace of Pisauri, to St. Jeremiah = Vüe du Palais de Pisauri, jusqu'a St. Jeremie
- 7. A view from the buildings of Rialto, to the Palace de Civrani = Vüe des edifices de Rialto, jusqu'au Palais de Civrani
- 8. The east side of the Bridge of Rialto = Le cote oriental du Pont de Rialto
- 9. A view from the Palace of Grimani & Theopoli, to that of Foscaro = Vüe du Palais de Grimani et Teopoli, a celui de Foscaro
- 10. A view of the Palace of Cornelii to St. Vitale = Vüe du Palais de Cornelii jusqu'a St. Vitale
- 11. A view from the Column of St. Mark, to the bank of Dalmations, commonly called Schiavoni = Vüe de la Colomne de St. Marc, jusqua'au Banc des Dalmationes, autrement de Schiavoni
- 12. A view from the Column of St. Theodore to the entrance of the Great Canal = Vüe de la Colomne de St. Theodore jusqu'a l'entree du Grand Canal.