IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
[Twelve prospects in that part of Derbyshire and Staffordshire, called the Peak and Moor Lands], [between 1771 and 1785]
[Twelve prospects in that part of Derbyshire and Staffordshire, called the Peak and Moor Lands] [graphic].
- [London] : Printed for Carington Bowles, map & printseller, no. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, [between 1771 and 1785]
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Title from printed advertisement for the series listing the 31 sets.
"Book 17" of 31 sets of prints published by Carington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
Bowles, C. Carington Bowles's new and enlarged catalogue of useful and accurate maps, charts, and plans. London, 1784, page 133
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: lacks plate 1 "A view in the Straits in Dove Dale near Ashbourne near Derbyshire" and plate 3 "A view in Dove Dale, 3 miles north of Ashbourne".
- Subject Terms:
- Derbyshire (England) -- Pictorial works.Landscapes -- England -- Derbyshire -- Early works to 1800.Landscapes -- England -- Staffordshire -- Early works to 1800.Staffordshire (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Engravings -- 1771-1785.
- 1. A view in the straits in Dove Dale near Ashbourne near Derbyshire
- 2. A view of Reynard's Hall in Dove Dale, near Ashbourn in Derby-Shire
- 3. A view in Dove Dale, 3 miles north of Ashbourn
- 4. A view in the upper part of Dove Dale, five miles north of Ashbourn in Derby-Shire
- 5. A view of Matlock Bath, in Derby-Shire
- 6. A view of Matlock Bath, &c. from the Lovers Walk; in Derby-Shire
- 7. A view in Crumford, near Matlock Bath in Derby-Shire
- 8. A view of that beautiful cascade near Matlock Bath in Derby-Shire
- 9. A view on the River Manyford, at Wetton Mill in Stafford-Shire
- 10. A view on the River Wie, in Monsal Dale, two miles north west of Bakewell in Derby-Shire
- 11. A view of the Thee Tor, &c. on the River Wie, two miles below Buxton, in Derby-Shire
- 12. A view of the rocks, and that vast cavern at Castleton, call'd Peakes Hole alias Devil's Arse in Derby-Shire.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.