Twelve remarkable views in North America and West Indies, [between 1771 and 1785]
Twelve remarkable views in North America and West Indies.
- [London] : Printed for Carington Bowles, map & printseller, no. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, [between 1771 and 1785]
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Title supplied from image captions.
"Book 19" of 31 sets of prints published by Carington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
Bowles, C. Carington Bowles's new and enlarged catalogue of useful and accurate maps, charts, and plans. London, 1784, page 137
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- Subject Terms:
- North America -- Pictorial works.United States -- History -- French and Indian War, 1754-1763 -- Pictorial works.West Indies -- Pictorial works.
- Engravings -- 1771-1785.
- IIIF Manifest:
- 1. A View of the city of Quebec, the capital of Canada
- 2. A view of the water falls of Montmorenci, and the attack made by General Wolfe, on the French intrenchments near Beauport, with the grenadiers of the army, July 31st 1750
- 3. A view of Cape Rouge, or Carouge, nine miles above the city of Quebec, on the nort shore of the River St. Laurence
- 4. A view of Gaspee, in the Gulf of St. Lawrence
- 5. A view of the Pierced Island, a remarkable rock in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, two leagues southward of Gaspée Bay
- 6. An east view of Montreal in Canada
- 7. A view of Louisburg in North America, taken from the light house, when that city was besieged in 1758
- 8. A south west view of the city of New York, in North America
- 9. A View of Charles Town, the Capital of South Carolina, in North America
- 10. A view of the great Cohoe Falls, on the Mohawk River; the Fall about seventy Feet, the river near a quarter of a mile broad
- 11. A view of Bethlem, the great Moravian settlement, in the province of Penn-sylvania
- 12. A View of the entrance of the harbour of Havana, taken from within the wrecks.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.