Twelve prospects in Derby-shire, Cheshire, Lincoln-shire, York, Durham, and noblemen's parks, [between 1771 and 1785]
Twelve prospects in Derby-shire, Cheshire, Lincoln-shire, York, Durham, and noblemen's parks [graphic].
- [London] : Printed for Carington Bowles, at his map & print warehouse, no. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, [between 1771 and 1785]
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from top margin of print 1.
"Book 22" of 31 sets of prints published by Carington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
Bowles, C. Carington Bowles's new and enlarged catalogue of useful and accurate maps, charts, and plans. London, 1784, page 133
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Early works to 1800.Cheshire (England) -- Pictorial works.Derbyshire (England) -- Pictorial works.Durham (England) -- Pictorial works.Landscapes -- England -- Early works to 1800.Lincolnshire (England) -- Pictorial works.Rivers -- England -- Pictorial works.York (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Engravings -- between 1771-1785.
- 1. A view of Hopping Mill Ware, on the River Dernent, four miles north of Derby
- 2. A view in Lime Park in Cheshire; with that extraordinary custom of driving stags through the water
- 3. A view of Anchor Church, so called from its having been the habitation of an Anchorite
- 4. A view of Dunnington Cliff, on the River Trent, five miles South East of Derby
- 5. A view of High Force
- 6. A view of Throp Cloud
- 7. A view of Matlock High Torr
- 8. A view of the new water-works, at Belton in Lincoln-shire
- 9. A view of Hagley Park, in Worcester-shire
- 10. A view of Newstead Park, in Nottingham-Shire
- 11. A view of Exton Park, in Rutland-Shire
- 12. A view of the Petrifying Sprint, commonly called the Dropping Well, at Knaresboough, in York-shire.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.