Twelve prints, representing managing and training horses, with coursing, shooting, settings, &c [graphic].
- [London] : Printed for & sold by Carington Bowles, no. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, [between 1771 and 1785]
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title from top margin of print 1.
"Book 23" of 31 sets of prints published by Carrington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carrington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
Bowles, C. Carington Bowles's new and enlarged catalogue of useful and accurate maps, charts, and plans. London, 1784, page 143
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- Subject Terms:
- Dogs -- Pictorial works.Horse sports -- England -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- In art -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Pictorial works.Hunting -- England -- Pictorial works.
- Engravings -- 1771-1785.
- 1. The Cullen Arabian
- 2. Catching the colts
- 3. Brood mares, with their foals
- 4. Subduing, shoeing, the Cavison and Millar, &c.
- 5. Riding, sadling, breaking and training
- 6. Finish'd horses
- 7. The pointers and hare
- 8. Coursing the hare
- 9. The death of the hare
- 10. Going home with the hare
- 11. The setting dog and partridges
- 12. Arthur Wentworth of Bulmer, near Castle Howard, Yorkshire, aged 75.