Twelve prints of John Bunyan's Pilgrim's progress [graphic] : representing the principal occurrences in Christian's journey.
- [London] : Printed for & sold by Carington Bowles, no. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, published as the Act directs 16 April 1781.
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "Book 25" of 31 sets of prints published by Carington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
Bowles, C. Carington Bowles's new and enlarged catalogue of useful and accurate maps, charts, and plans. London, 1784, page 144
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- Subject Terms:
- Bunyan, John, 1628-1688. Pilgrim's progress -- Illustrations.Christian pilgrims and pilgrimages -- Drama -- Illustrations.
- Engravings -- 1781.
- 1. Christian declaring his reasons for going on a pilgrimage
- 2. Christian and Pliable in the slough of despond
- 3. Chistian's second meeting with Evangelist
- 4. Christian's burden falls of on his arrival at the cross
- 5. Christian recovers his roll
- 6. The Palace beautiful and Christian in dread of the lions
- 7. Christian's fight with Appollyon
- 8. Christian in the valley of the shadow of death
- 9. Christian passing the caves of the giants Pope and Pagan
- 10. Christian and faithful confined in Vanity Fair
- 11. Christian and Hopeful escape from Doubting Castle
- 12. Christian and Hopeful passing the river.