Dighton, Robert, 1752-1814, Twelve elegant and humorous prints of rural scenes, adorned with comic figures, publish'd as the act directs 25 Sept. 1782
- Twelve elegant and humorous prints of rural scenes, adorned with comic figures [graphic] / by Robert Dighton.
- [London] : Printed for & sold by Carington Bowles, at No. 69 in St. Pauls Church Yard, London, publish'd as the act directs 25 Sept. 1782.
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from top margin of print 1.
"Book 26" of 31 sets of prints published by Carington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
Bowles, C. Carington Bowles's new and enlarged catalogue of useful and accurate maps, charts, and plans. London, 1784, page 143
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- 1. The lads of the village -- 2. A holiday diversion -- 3. Rural felicity -- 4. The gipsey's prophecy -- 5. The dancing master and his pupil -- 6. The enthusiastic orator -- 7. The tars recreation -- 8. An evening walk -- 9. Summer amusement -- 10. Winter amusement -- 11. The Tower Hill esculapius -- 12. The return from Margate.
- Subject Terms:
- Country life -- England -- Pictorial works.Satire, English -- Pictorial works.
- Engravings -- 1782.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.