Twelve prints, representing the most interesting scenes in the sacred hisory of Joseph and his brethren, published as the Act directs 2 Sepr. 1783
- Twelve prints, representing the most interesting scenes in the sacred hisory of Joseph and his brethren [graphic].
- [London] : Printed for & sold by Carington Bowles, no. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, published as the Act directs 2 Sepr. 1783.
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from top margin of print 1.
"Book 29" of 31 sets of prints published by Carington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- 1. Joseph's first dream -- 2. Joseph's second dream -- 3. Reuben interceding with his brethren for the life of Joseph -- 4. Joseph sold by his brethren to the Ishmeelites -- 5. Potiphar's wife falsely accusing Joseph -- 6. Joseph interpreting the dreams of Pharoah's chief butler and baker -- 7. Joseph interpreting Pharoah's dreams -- 8. Joseph's brethren applying to him for corn, in time of famine -- 9. Judah resigning himself and brethren into the hands of Joseph -- 10. Joseph making himself known to his brethren -- 11. Joseph meeting Jacob his father -- 12. Joseph introducing five of his brethren, and Jacob his father into the presence of Pharoah.
- Subject Terms:
- Bible. Genesis. Selections. English -- Illustrations.Joseph (son of Jacob) -- Illustrations.
- Engravings -- 1783.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.