IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Dighton, Robert, 1752-1814, Nature displayed in 12 prints of humorous & satirical subjects, with a variety of whimsical characers, published as the Act directs, 2 Sep. 1784
Nature displayed in 12 prints of humorous & satirical subjects, with a variety of whimsical characers [graphic] / by R. Dighton.
- [London] : Printed for & sold Carrington Bowles, no. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, published as the Act directs, 2 Sep. 1784.
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Title from top margin of print 1.
"Book 30" of 31 sets of prints published by Carington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- England -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- Early works to 1800.Satire, English -- Pictorial works.
- Engravings -- 1784.
- 1. The contented miller
- 2. The travelling musicians
- 3. Administring the oath at Highgate
- 4. Canvassing for member of Parliament
- 5. A country amusement, bull baiting
- 6. The travelling show-man
- 7. The ferry
- 8. Relieving the distress's travellers
- 9. Modern exercise
- 10. Modern amusement
- 11. The produce of industry
- 12. The harmonious family.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.