Dighton, Robert, 1752-1814, Twelve prints representing the most interesting, sentimental, and humorous scenes in Tristram Shandy, published as the Act directs 3 Jan. 1785
- Twelve prints representing the most interesting, sentimental, and humorous scenes in Tristram Shandy [graphic] / by R. Dighton.
- [London] : Printed for & sold by Carngton Bowles, no. 69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London, published as the Act directs 3 Jan. 1785.
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : engravings ; plate marks 18 x 28 cm, on sheets 23 x 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2013 39Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title from top margin of print 1.
"Book 31" of 31 sets of prints published by Carington Bowles, 1771-1785. A contemporary advertisement for the series notes: "Various sets, or books, of beautiful and entertaining prints, on half sheets of fine demy paper; containing 12 prints in each. Price 3s. plain, or 8s. each book, finely coloured. Printed for and sold by the proprietor Carington Bowles, at his map and print warehouse, no. 69, St. Paul's Church Yard, London."
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, in contemporary (?) brown paper wrappers. Uncolored. Housed with the 30 other sets of prints in this series. With the printed advertisement (1 sheet) listing the 31 sets.
- 1. Obadia's ill time complisance to Doctor Slop in the Dirty Lane -- 2. Corporal Trim reading the sermon to Mr. Shandy, Uncle Toby, and Doctor Slop -- 3. Mr. Shandy, Uncle Toby, and Corporal Trim, bringing in the mortars -- 4. The Lady Baussiere, attended by her page ; with her decayed kinsman begging -- 5. Corporal Trim's reflections on mortality in the kitchen, on the death of Master Bobby -- 6. Uncle Toby and Corporal Trim, viewing their artificial fortifications -- 7. Doctor Slop, and Susanna quarrelling : The nurse, with Tristram Shandy in her lap -- 8. Tristram Shandy's journey from Boulogne to Montreuil, in a post chaise -- 9.Tristram Shandy meeting with the peasants between Nismes and Lunel -- 10. Widow Wadman's plan of attack on Uncle Toby -- 11. Uncle Toby with Corporal Trim going to visit the Widow Wadman, Mr. and Ms. Shandy waching them -- 12. Tristram Shandy discovering Maria, with her little goat beside her.
- Subject Terms:
- Sterne, Laurence, 1713-1768. Life and opinions of Tristram Shandy, gentleman -- Illustrations.
- Satires (Visual works) -- England -- 1785.
Engravings -- 1785.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.