Cut-paper diorama of the HMS Defiance.
- Rye?, England, 1762.
- Physical Description:
- 1 diorama ; 48 x 59 x 7 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2014 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- The HMS Definace was a 58-gun fourth rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, built at Deptford according to the dimensions laid out in the 1741 proposals of the 1719 Establishment, and launched on 12 October 1744. The ship was sold out of the Navy in 1766. It took part in the following conflicts: Finisterre 1747, Ushant 1747, Louisburg 1758, Quiberon Bay 1759 and Havana 1762. See: Lavery, Brian. The ship of the line (1983), v. 1, p. 172.
Augustine Walker is known to have made at least three other cut-paper dioramas of Royal Navy warships. Walker's model of the HMS Sutherland (1763) is also in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art (Folio C 2014 1; link provided herewith). Additionally, there are two works by Walker in the collections of the National Maritime Museum (OBJ0531 and OBJ0532), dated 1761 and 1765, respectively. The inscription on the first of these indicates Walker's place of activity: "Augustine Walker Invt et Fecit at Rye in Sussex 1761."
Label on reverse: "This ship was bought in April, 1936, from Mr. Furber, of the Fulham Road, who had had it in his house for many years. Another similar to it, by the same artist, but not so fine, was included in the Wellcome Sale in London the next year, and was bought for the Maritime Museum of Greenwich." Written in ink, below: "1940.7.01 Lent by J.M. Thompson, Esq."
Uncolored cut-paper diorama of the HMS Defiance, 1762, by Augustine Walker. The diorama depicts the Defiance on a choppy sea, with sailors climbing the rigging. A second armed sailing ship, at a greater distance, is depicted with less detail. Signed "A. Walker Invt. et fecit. 1762." Contained within a deep glazed ebonized and gilt case, for wall hanging.
- Subject Terms:
- Defiance (Ship : 1744-1766)Great Britain. Royal Navy.Sailing ships -- Great Britain.Warships -- Great Britain.
- Model ships.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.