Fulford, William, 1812-1886, Treatise on artillery, 1831
- Treatise on artillery.
- Great Britain?, 1831.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (330 pages) : illustrations ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsUF155.G74 F8 1831Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- William Fulford (1812-1886) is recorded as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Artillery, December 16th, 1831. He was commissioned in 1831, and served in Corfu (1834-1843), and Jamaica (1844-1847), where he was regularly promoted. He contracted yellow fever and was invalided home to become a recruiting officer in Exeter. He retired as Captain, on full pay, in November 1849, and during the Crimean War was given the honorary rank of Major. In October that year he was appointed Governor of Stafford Gaol, and remained in that post until his death on 5th June 1886. See: McConville, Sean. English local prisons, 1860-1900.
Manuscript treatise on artillery, military carriages, signal rockets, ammunition &c., written by William Fulford in 1831. This manuscript is dated December 10th 1831; he has also written Capt. W. Fulford at a later date on an endpaper. It comprises 330 hand-numbered pages, largely divided into two sections ("Repository course" and "Laboratory course"), and is illustrated with 14 watercolor drawings, with additional pen and ink diagrams and tables. The treatise probably formed a course of instruction prior to Fulford's becoming a commissioned officer.
Bound in contemporary marbled boards; original spine lacking.
- Headings of longer sections include: Examining and proving ordnance -- Remarks on artillery -- General construction for brass ordnance -- Laying a gun -- Report of rocket and practice -- Exercise of 49 guns on standing carriages -- Firing trunnion bones -- Exercise of mortars -- Remarks on gunpowder -- Remarks on military carriages -- Remarks on military law -- Signal rockets -- A detail of equipments for field bolts ... of different natures -- The length, weight, caliber, class &c. of various pieces of ordnance &c.
- Subject Terms:
- Artillery -- Great Britain -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Artillery drill and tactics -- Great Britain -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Fulford, William, 1812-1886.Gun-carriages -- Great Britain -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Military art and science.Military cadets -- Education -- Great Britain.Military cadets -- Great Britain.Military law -- Great Britain.Ordnance -- Great Britain -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Military manuals.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.