Tagg, John, The burden of representation , 1993
The burden of representation : essays on photographies and histories / John Tagg.
- Minneapolis, Minn. : University of Minnesota Press, 1993.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 242 p. : ill. ; 22 cm
- Reference LibraryTR183 .T34 1993 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Originally published: Amherst : University of Massachusetts Press, 1988.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 231-236) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Documentary photographyDocumentary photography.Photography -- Philosophy.Photography -- Social aspects -- History.Photography PhilosophyPhotography Social aspects History
- A democracy of the image: photographic portraiture and commodity production
- Evidence, truth and order: photographic records and the growth of the state
- A means of surveillance: the photograph as evidence of law
- A legal reality: the photograph as property in law
- God's sanitary law: slum clearance and photography in late nineteenth-century Leeds
- The currency of the photograph: New Deal reformism and documentary rhetoric
- Contacts/worksheets: notes on photography, history and representation.