IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Tagg, John, The burden of representation , 1993
The burden of representation : essays on photographies and histories / John Tagg.
- Minneapolis, Minn. : University of Minnesota Press, 1993.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 242 p. : ill. ; 22 cm
- Reference LibraryTR183 .T34 1993 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Originally published: Amherst : University of Massachusetts Press, 1988.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 231-236) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Documentary photographyDocumentary photography.Photography -- Philosophy.Photography -- Social aspects -- History.Photography PhilosophyPhotography Social aspects History
- A democracy of the image: photographic portraiture and commodity production
- Evidence, truth and order: photographic records and the growth of the state
- A means of surveillance: the photograph as evidence of law
- A legal reality: the photograph as property in law
- God's sanitary law: slum clearance and photography in late nineteenth-century Leeds
- The currency of the photograph: New Deal reformism and documentary rhetoric
- Contacts/worksheets: notes on photography, history and representation.