Richard Wilson and the transformation of European landscape painting , ©2014
- Richard Wilson and the transformation of European landscape painting / edited by Martin Postle and Robin Simon with contributions by Steffen Egle, Oliver Fairclough, Rachel Flynn, Rosie Ibbotson, Jason M. Kelly, Lars Kokkonen, Kate Lowry, Bethany McIntyre, Martin Postle, Robin Simon, Paul Spencer-Longhurst, Ana Maria Suárez Huerta, Charlotte Topsfield, Scott Wilcox and Jonathan Yarker.
- New Haven : Yale University Press, ©2014.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 348 pages : illustrations (some colour) ; 30 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.W72 R53 2014 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
"This publication accompanies the exhibition ... co-organized by the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, and Amgueddfa Cymru--National Museum Wales, Cardiff, on view at the Yale Center for British Art from March 6 to June 1, 2014 and at Amgueddfa Cymru--National Museum Wales, Cardiff from July 5 to October 26, 2014"--T.p. verso.
- Richard Wilson and the transformation of European art / Robin Simon -- Rome and its British and Irish artists, 1730-50 / Jason Kelly -- Natoire and the French Academy in Rome / Lars Kokkonen -- Marketing Wilson in Rome / Jonathan Yarker -- Adolf Friedrich Harper, a German pupil of Richard Wilson / Steffen Egle -- Anton Rafael Mengs and Richard Wilson / Ana Maria Suárez Huerta -- Richard Wilson, the Academy and the British 'School of Rome' / Martin Postle -- 'Relenting fortune weeps o'er Wilson's fate' / Rosie Ibbotson and Scott Wilcox -- An artist in his own country : Richard Wilson and Wales / Oliver Fairclough -- 'This delightful artist' : cultural trends in the historiography of Richard Wilson / Paul Spencer-Longhurst -- Richard Wilson : methods and materials / Kate Lowry -- Artist biographies -- Catalogue section -- Rome in the 1750s -- Wilson and the Grand Tour -- Inspiration and imitation -- Buying and selling -- In the footsteps of Wilson.
- Subject Terms:
- Landscape painting, European.Landscapes in art.Wilson, Richard, 1713-1782 -- Criticism and interpretation.Wilson, Richard, 1713-1782 -- Influence.