Views of Oxford / by T. Malton.
- London : Published June 4 1810, by White & Co. Fleet Street & R. Smith, Oxford, 1810.
- Physical Description:
- 1 leaf,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 42 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 20aYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Includes a mezzotint portrait of Mr. Thomas Malton by Wm. Barney (Chaloner Smith 10), bound in after the title leaf.
Bound in contemporary blue morocco. Armorial bookplate: Sir David Lionel Goldsmid-Stern-Salomons, Bart. of Broomhill, Tunbridge Wells.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, see 277
Cordeaux, E.H. Bibliography of printed works relating to the University of Oxford, see 304
A unique copy derived from the 1810 edition, which comprised 24 aquatint engravings originally published 1802-1803 (Abbey, Scenery 272) accompanied by six new line etchings (without aquatint). In the present copy, the 24 plates given in aquatint in the standard version are here presented in etched outline only, with the addition of hand-coloring, perhaps executed by Malton. 13 of the 24 are also given uncolored. Also present are the six line etchings new to the edition of 1810--three unfinished. All etchings are before letters.
The copy also bears a unique title leaf, in letterpress (early 20th century?), with footer: "This copy executed in watercolours by the artist as example for the aquatints, with 11 of the 18 etchings inserted, and the 6 unfinished plates in etched state." In graphite, this has been corrected to: "This copy executed in watercolours by the artist as example for the aquatints, with 13 of the 24 etchings inserted, and the 6 additional plates for the 2nd edition in etched state, 3 unfinished."
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Oxford.Salomans, David Lionel Goldsmid Stern -- Bookplate.Smith, R. -- Publisher.Universities and colleges -- England -- Oxford.University of Oxford -- Pictorial works.White & Co. -- Publisher.
- Aquatints -- 1810.
Engravings -- 1810.
Etchings -- 1810.
Mezzotints -- 1810.
Watercolors -- 1810.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
- Magdalen College from the New Bridge
- Queens College from the High Street
- Entrance to All Souls College, and St. Mary's Church from the High Street
- West Front of the principal quadrangle of All Souls College
- The Library of All Souls College
- Staircase to the Hall of Christ Church College
- University College from the High Street
- The principal quadrangle of Queen's College
- The chapel of Queens College
- East front of the principal quadrangle of All Souls College
- Christ Church from the Chaplains Court
- The Cathedral of Christ Church
- The first quadrangle of Magdalen College
- The Clarendon Printing House
- Corpus Christi College, from the garden
- The hall of Christ Church College - The Anti Chapel of New College
- The Chapel of New College
- First quadrangle of New College
- First quadrangle of Brazen Nose College
- Merton Church
- North front of the library of Christ Church College
- North front of the Divinity School
- The Divinity School
- All Saints Church and part of the High Street
- Entrance to Merton College and Tower
- The front of Oriel College and St. Mary's Spire
- West front of Christ Church
- Inside of All Souls College Chapel
- Magdalen Bridge and Tower.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.