Mayer, Luigi, Views in Egypt, Palestine, and other parts of the Ottoman Empire, 1804
Views in Egypt, Palestine, and other parts of the Ottoman Empire.
- London : Printed by Thomas Bensley, Bolt Court, Fleet Street, for R. Bowyer, Historic Gallery, Pall-Mall, 1804.
- Physical Description:
- , 102, , 47, , 40 p. : illlustrations ; 48 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 42Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Aquatints by Luigi Mayer; after paintings by Thomas Milton. Portrait of Luigi Mayer in volume 1 by engraved R. Brook; after Robert Bowyer.
The second and third parts are in English and French. Each part has special title page. The third part has added title page in French.
"These three volumes were originally published separately. In 1804 the general title-page was provided and the three were put on sale together ... In 1810 Bowyer added to the series the Views in the Ottoman Dominions, in Europe in Asia, and some of the Mediterranean islands."--Abbey.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 369
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary gilt-tooled calf.
- Subject Terms:
- Egypt -- Pictorial works.Mayer, Luigi.Palestine -- Pictorial works.Turkey -- History -- Ottoman Empire, 1288-1918 -- Pictorial works.
- Views in Egypt, from the original drawings in the possession of Sir Robert Ainslie, taken during his embassy to Constantinople by Luigi Mayer; engraved by and under the direction of Thomas Milton; with historical observations, and incidental illustrations of the manners and customs of the natives of that country. 1801
- Views in Palestine, from the original drawings ... with an historical and descriptive account of the country, and its remarkable places. 1804
- Views in the Ottoman Empire, chiefly in Caramania ... from the original drawings ... with historical observations and incidental illustrations of the manners and customs of the natives of the country. 1803.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.