The experienc'd fowler: or, The gentleman, citizen, and country-man's pleasant and profitable recreation : Containing, I. The true art of taking water and land fowl, with divers kinds of nets, lime-twigs lime-bushes, and how to make the best bird-lime. II. Directions for bat-fowling, lowbelling, tramelling, and driving fowl, how to find their haunts, and take them with springes, snares, &c. III. An exact method for using the fowling-piece at a true level, to shoot at the water, ground, bush, or flying. IV. How to make shot, proportion the charge, and know good powder; with the proper use of the stalking-horse, bush, hedge, and how to manage them. V. Of singing birds, their diseases and cure. VI. How to distinguish all sorts of poulterers ware, whether old or young, fresh or stale, full of eggs or not. Also to well order, and speedily fat tame and wild fowl. VII. To which is added directions for destroying all manner of vermine / By J.S. Gent.
- Additional Title(s):
Gentleman, citizen, and country-man's pleasant and profitable recreation
- London : Printed for Jo. Sprint, at the Blue bell, and G. Conyers, at the Ring, in Little Britain, 1697.
- Physical Description:
- , 159,  p. : ill. ; 12 cm. (12mo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK311 .S65 1697Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BEIN Uzn71 697s Copy 1: Bound by T. Gosden, with his initials on spine.
BEIN Uzn71 697s Copy 2: In Gosden binding, unsigned.
J.S. = John Smith.
Full-page woodcut frontispiece on leaf A1v. Leaf A2 is t.p.
Bookseller's advertisements on leaves A4v and G12v.
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (2nd ed.), S4108C
English short title catalogue, R220081
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in blind-tooled sprinkled sheepskin; rebacked.
- Subject Terms:
- Conyers, George, d. 1739 or 40 -- Publisher.Fowling -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Game and game-birds -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Poultry -- Early works to 1800.Sprint, John, d. 1729 -- Publisher.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1697.
- Booksellers' advertisements.
YCBA Collections Search
Smith, John, active 1684-1704, The experienc'd fowler: or, The gentleman, citizen, and country-man's pleasant and profitable recreation , 1697
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.