Leech, John, 1817-1864, Pictures of life and character , [between 1872 and 1890?]
Pictures of life and character : from the collection of Mr. Punch / by John Leech.
- London : Bradbury, Agnew, & Co., 8, 9, 10, Bouverie Street, Fleet Street, E.C., [between 1872 and 1890?]
- Physical Description:
- 5 volumes : illustrations ; 32 x 46 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 49Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Originally published by Bradbury and Evans from 1854 to 1869.
The firm of Bradbury, Agnew, & Co. operated under this name from 1872 to 1890. See: Wakeman, G. Guide to nineteenth century colour printers.
Houfe, S. John Leech and the Victorian scene, see p. 151
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original gilt-stamped greench cloth, with red leather back and cornershalf morocco and green boards. Indexes included for all series.
"The appearance of Pictures of life and character between March 1853 and October 1854, brought him [Leech] even wider fame. In these oblong quarter books, his best Punch work was gathered together for another audience who did not know his engravings in the magazine; a cosmorama of squires, huntsmen, pretty housemaids, urchins, querulous spinsters and swells met inside these covers to divert thousands of Victorian families."--Houfe, on the original edition.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Caricatures and cartoons.Punch (London, England)
- Wood engravings -- 1872-1890.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.