Leech, John, 1817-1864, Pictures of life and character , [between 1872 and 1890?]
- Pictures of life and character : from the collection of Mr. Punch / by John Leech.
- London : Bradbury, Agnew, & Co., 8, 9, 10, Bouverie Street, Fleet Street, E.C., [between 1872 and 1890?]
- Physical Description:
- 5 volumes : illustrations ; 32 x 46 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 49Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The appearance of Pictures of life and character between March 1853 and October 1854, brought him [Leech] even wider fame. In these oblong quarter books, his best Punch work was gathered together for another audience who did not know his engravings in the magazine; a cosmorama of squires, huntsmen, pretty housemaids, urchins, querulous spinsters and swells met inside these covers to divert thousands of Victorian families."--Houfe, on the original edition.
Originally published by Bradbury and Evans from 1854 to 1869.
The firm of Bradbury, Agnew, & Co. operated under this name from 1872 to 1890. See: Wakeman, G. Guide to nineteenth century colour printers.
Houfe, S. John Leech and the Victorian scene, see p. 151
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original gilt-stamped greench cloth, with red leather back and cornershalf morocco and green boards. Indexes included for all series.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Caricatures and cartoons.Punch (London, England)
- Wood engravings -- 1872-1890.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.