Hauptman, William, 1945-, Samuel Hieronymus Grimm (1733-1794) , 
Samuel Hieronymus Grimm (1733-1794) : a very English Swiss / William Hauptman.
- Additional Title(s):
Very English Swiss
- Milan : 5 Continents Editions, 
- Physical Description:
- 223 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 27 cm
- Reference LibraryNJ18.G81 H38 2014 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- "This book is published on the occasion of the exhibition: Samuel Hieronymus Grimm - A Very English Swiss, January 17 - April 20, 2014, Kunstmuseum Bern."
Includes bibliographical references (pages 63-67, 222-223).
Samuel Hieronymus Grimm (1733-1794) recorded, in watercolor and pen and ink, great historical events as well as everyday English life in the 18th century. Born near Bern, Switzerland, Grimm moved to London in 1768 and began an unrivaled career documenting the landscape and antiquities of Britain, and gaining a reputation for accuracy and speed. His extensive travels resulted in more than 2,600 drawings and watercolors, ranging from pure landscape to highly valuable scenes of country life of the day. Grimm also published witty political and social caricatures. This new book, published to accompany an exhibition at the Kunstmuseum, Bern, opens a window onto 18th-century England.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, English -- 18th century -- Exhibitions.Great Britain -- In art -- Exhibitions.Grimm, Samuel Hieronymus, 1733-1794 -- Exhibitions.
- Samuel Hieronymus Grimm: a Bernese painter in London