Of green leaf, bird, and flower , ©2014
- Of green leaf, bird, and flower : artists' books and the natural world / edited by Elisabeth R. Fairman ; essays by Elisabeth R. Fairman, Robert McCracken Peck, Molly Duggins, David Burnett ; contributions by Laurie Clark, Mandy Bonnell, Tracey Bush, Jane Hyslop, Patrick Sweeney, Dizzy Pragnell, Tim Barringer, Ron King, Clare Bryan, Lisa Ford, John Dilnot, Colin Sackett, Martin Postle, Eileen Hogan, Rebecca Salter, Clive Phillpot, Sarah Welcome.
- New Haven : Yale University Press, ©2014.
- Physical Description:
- 247 pages : illustrations ; 27 cm
- Reference LibraryN7650 .O4 2014 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Highlighting an enduring interest in natural history from the 16th century to the present, this gorgeous book explores depictions of the natural world, from centuries-old manuscripts to contemporary artists' books. It examines the scientific pursuits in the 18th and 19th centuries that resulted in the collecting and cataloguing of the natural world. It also investigates the aesthetically oriented activities of self-taught naturalists in the 19th century, who gathered flowers, ferns, seaweed, feathers, and other naturalia into albums. Examples of 20th- and 21st-century artists' books, including those of Eileen Hogan, Mandy Bonnell, and Tracey Bush, broaden the vision of the natural world to incorporate its interaction with consumer culture and with modern technologies. Featuring dazzling illustrations, the book itself is designed to evoke a fieldwork notebook, and features a collection pocket and ribbon markers. "-- Provided by publisher.
Issued in connection with an exhibition held May 15, 2014-August 10, 2014, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, Connecticut.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Natural Obsessions: From Specimens to Books / Robert McCracken Peck -- 'Which Mimic Art Hath Made': Crafting Nature in the Victorian Book and Album / Molly Duggins -- 'A still, small voice': Sister Margaret Tournour, Wood Engraver and Naturalist / David Burnett -- "Field Guide" with Artists' Statements -- Catalogue.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and society -- Great Britain.Artists' books -- Great Britain -- Themes, motives.Natural history illustration -- Great Britain.Nature in art.Science -- Social aspects -- Great Britain.