The art of painting / of Charles Alphonse Du Fresnoy ; translated into English verse by William Mason ; with annotations by Sir Joshua Reynolds.
- Additional Title(s):
Half title: Charles Alphonse Du Fresnoy's Art of painting translated into English verse
De arte graphica. English & Latin
- Dublin : Printed for Messrs. Whitestone, Wilson, Moncrieffe, Walker, Jenkin, White, Byrne and Cash, 1783.
- Physical Description:
- , xxi, , 221,  p. ; 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1130 .D813 1783bView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Parallel text of Latin poem and English verse translation.
Half title; divisional title pages.
English short title catalogue, T64461
- Subject Terms:
- Painters -- Biography -- Early works to 1800.Painting -- Early works to 1800.Painting -- Poetry -- Early works to 1800.
- Epistle to Sir Joshua Reynolds / by William Mason
- Preface / by William Mason
- The life of Mons. Du Fresnoy
- The art of painting with the original text subjoined
- Notes on the Art of painting / by William Mason and Sir Joshua Reynolds
- A table of the rules contained in the foregoing poem --Appendix: The sentiments of Charles Alphonse Du Fresnoy, on the works of the principal and best painters of the two last ages / by John Dryden
- The preface of Mr. Dryden to his translation, containing a parallel between poetry and painting
- Epistle of Mr. Pope to Mr. Jervas
- A chronological list of painters from the revival of the art to the beginning of the present century / by Thomas Gray.