The complete manual for young sportsmen : with directions for handling the gun, the rifle, and the rod : the art of shooting on the wing : the breaking, management, and hunting of the dog : the varieties and habits of game : river, lake, and sea fishing, etc. etc. etc. / prepared for the instruction and use of the youth of America by Fank Forester ...
- New York : Stringer & Townsend, 222 Broadway, 1856.
New York : John F. Trow, printer and stereotyper, Nos. 377 & 379 Broad, Corner of White Street
- Physical Description:
- xvi, , 18-480 pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations. ; 20 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK35.5 .H47 1856Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- With added wood-engraved title page, drawn by Chaarles A. Barry. The added title page and the frontispiece are engraved on wood by Nanthaniel Orr.
BEIN Za H415 856c Copy 1: Original olive green cloth; only central design on front cover stamped in gilt. Gilt lettering & design on spine. Pictorial ornamental borders in blind on both covers. All edges plain.
BEIN Za H415 856c Copy 2: Binding variant. Imperfect: front end-paper wanting. Blue cloth; pictorial designs & lettering stamped in gold. All edges gilt.
BEIN Shirley 6443: Red cloth; pictorial designs and lettering stamped in gold; all edges gilt. Autograph: S.H.R. Thayer. Autograph: Chandler.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original gold-stamped green cloth. Signature of the author laid in. Bookplate: William Mitchell Van Winkle.
- Subject Terms:
- Chandler -- Autograph.Fishing.Herbert, Henry William -- Autograph.Horse sports.Hunting dogs.Hunting.Shooting.Thayer, S. H. R. -- Autograph.Van Winkle, William Mitchell -- Bookplate.
- Juvenile literature.
Wood-engravings -- 1856.
YCBA Collections Search
Herbert, Henry William, 1807-1858, The complete manual for young sportsmen , 1856
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.