Benito Cereno / by Herman Melville ; with pictures by E. McKnight Kauffer.
- London : The Nonesuch Press, 1926.
- Physical Description:
- 4, 122,  p. : ill. ; 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPS2384 .B4 1926+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Za M497 +926: Bookplate of Carl Van Vechten. Presentation inscription to Carl Van Vechten from E. McKnight Kauffer. Dust jacket. No. 1350.
Title vignette; head-piece; tail-piece.
"The text of this edition of 'Benito Cereno', illustrated by E. McKnight Kauffer, is reproduced from that of the first (1856) edition of "The piazza tales." It is printed in the Walbaum type with the pictures hand-coloured through stencils at the Curwen press upon Van Gelder paper.
One of 1650 copies printed for sale in England and America.
Ransom, L. Private presses, p. 366 (no. 31)
Dreyfus, J. Nonesuch Press, 36
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 885 of 1650; bound in publisher's original red cloth. Edges unopened.
- Subject Terms:
- Kauffer, E. McKnight (Edward McKnight), 1890-1954 -- Presentation inscription to C. Van Vechten.Sea stories, American.Slavery -- Fiction.Van Vechten, Carl, 1880-1964 -- Bookplate.Van Vechten, Carl, 1880-1964 -- Presentation inscription from E. M. Kauffer.
- Line blocks -- Hand-colored.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.