Surtees, Robert Smith, 1805-1864, Mr. Sponge's sporting tour , 1856
- Mr. Sponge's sporting tour / edited by Frank Forester ; with illustrations by John Leech.
- New York: Stringer & Townsend, 1856.
- Physical Description:
- 425 p., 6 col. pl. : (incl. front.) ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSporting 2187Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Za H415 846s Copy 1: In blue cloth.
BEIN Za H415 846s Copy 2: In slate cloth.
BAC: British Art Center copy: Edited by Frant Forester. First American edition. Octavo. Yellowish-green cloth; hunt scene in gold on front cover, blind stamped on front and back covers, gold design and lettering on spine. Plates, publisher's ads. Plates after John Leech. Spine height: 8 1/4 inches.
First edition, 1853.
First issue of Frank Forester's edition, and the first American edition of "Mr. Sponge."
- Subject Terms:
- Fox hunting.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.