Lankester, Phebe, 1825-1900, A plain and easy account of the British ferns , 
- A plain and easy account of the British ferns : together with their classification, arrangement of genera, structure, and functions ; and a glossary of technical and other terms / edited by Mrs. Lankester ; with illustrations.
- Alternate Title(s):
- British ferns with illustrations
- London : Robert Hardwicke, 192, Piccadilly, and all booksellers, 
- Physical Description:
- , viii-xv, , 108,  pages : illustrations ; 16 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQK527 .L365 1859Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title, stamped in gilt: British ferns with illustrations.
Some of the lithographed plates are signed J.R. Jobbins.
Date of publication from plates.
Prefatory note states that this work was first published in 1854, with a revised and enlarged edition appearing in 1855. "The Author of this work ... being precluded by indisposition from undertaking the task of recomposing his manual, the publisher is indebted to the pen of a lady [i.e. Phebe Lankester] for the present edition." The original author of the work is attributed to be Edwin Bosanquet. Preface of the 1854 edition is signed E.B.
Includes publisher's advertisements,  pages at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original gilt-stamped dark green cloth. Armorial bookplate: Geoge Stapylton Barnes.
- Subject Terms:
- Barnes, George Stapylton -- Bookplate.Botany -- Great Britain.Ferns -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- Lithographs -- 1859.
Publishers' advertisements -- 1859.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.