Stevens, Thomas, 1828-1888, The present time , 
- The present time : 60 miles an hour.
- Coventry : Thomas Stevens, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 silk picture : color ; 6 x 15 cm, on mount 14 x 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK9002.S8 P72 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Visual Materials
- "Woven in silk by Thomas Stevens, inventor and manufacturer, Coventry and London, (registered)."
"This title embraces several landscape views of trains. The first version was originally issued in 1879, at the York Exhibition, under the title Stephenson's 'Triump' ... ; but by mid-August 1879 the same view of the Lord Howe engine with two coaches was issued under the new title The present time ..."--Godden.
Chronicles the run of George Stephenson's train on September 27, 1825, from Stockton to Darlington.
A woven picture, machine-embroidered on silk.
Date from Godden.
Godden, G. Stevengraphs and other Victorian silk pictures, 50
Includes printed advertisement, on reverse of the mount, for other subjects in the series of Stevengraph pure silk woven pictures.
- Subject Terms:
- Railroads -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Silk pictures -- Specimens.Steam locomotives -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Stephenson, George, 1781-1848.Stockton and Darlington Railway.
- Embroidery (visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.