- Coventry ; London : Thomas Stevens, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 silk picture : color ; 5 x 15 cm, in mount 14 x 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK9002.S8 S8 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Visual Materials
- "Woven in silk by Thomas Stevens, inventor and manufacturer, Coventry and London (registered)."
Date from Godden.
A woven picture, machine-embroidered on silk.
Godden, G. Stevengraphs and other Victorian silk pictures, 61
Includes printed advertisement, on reverse of the mount, for other subjects in the Stevengraph series.
"This lively landscape picture, companion to The finish (also titled The struggle [see Godden 19 and 63]), depicts the start of a horse-race with seven horses travelling from left to right."--Godden.
- Subject Terms:
- Horse racing -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Horses -- Pictorial works.Silk pictures -- Specimens.Steeplechasing -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.
- Embroidery (visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.