- Coventry ; London : Thomas Stevens, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 silk picture : color ; 5 x 15 cm, in mount 14 x 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK9002.S8 F52 BoxYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Visual Materials
- "Woven in silk by Thomas Stevens, inventor and manufacturer, Coventry and London (registered)."
Date from Godden.
A woven picture, machine-embroidered on silk.
Godden, G. Stevengraphs and other Victorian silk pictures, 19
Includes printed advertisement, on reverse of the mount, for other subjects in the Stevengraph series.
"This subject was first issued under the title The struggle [Godden 63] and, as such, it was registered on 14 August 1879. ... The scene shows the end of a horse-race, with four horses in the centre at full stretch nearing the winning-post."--Godden.
- Subject Terms:
- Horse racing -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Horses -- Pictorial works.Silk pictures -- Specimens.Steeplechasing -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.
- Embroidery (visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.