W.H. Grant and Co. (Coventry, England), Major-General Baden Powell , 
Major-General Baden Powell : the heroic defender of Mafeking.
- [Coventry, England] : [W.H. Grant & Co.], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 silk picture : color ; 10 x 7 cm, in mount 18 x 14 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK9002.W8 M3 BoxYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Visual Materials
- "In 1900 Mssrs Grant issued a series titled 'Soldiers of the Queen' on the special back-labels and 'Empire makers' on the front of the card-mount. The label ... gives the relevant information on this series of Boer War heroes, each of whom was also depicted in Stevens silk portraits ... The first issues of 'Empire makers' has this title above the portrait and the name of the hero printed in plain letters below the portrait; but portraits were later sold without the general title and with the name of the sitter printed in a new, fancy type."--Godden
W.H. Grant & Co. were a primary competitor of Thomas Stevens (and his series of silk Stevengraphs).
A woven picture, machine-embroidered on silk.
Publication information from Godden.
Godden, G. Stevengraphs and other Victorian silk pictures, p. 429-431, 484
The picture depicts Baden Powell, above the Union Jack and a small scene of battle.
- Subject Terms:
- Baden-Powell of Gilwell, Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell, Baron, 1857-1941 -- Portraits.Mafikeng (South Africa) -- History -- Siege, 1899-1900.Silk pictures -- Specimens.South African War, 1899-1902.
- Embroidery (visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.