Roberts, David, 1796-1864, Antiquities of Scotland in a series of etchings , 1831
Antiquities of Scotland in a series of etchings / David Roberts.
- [London?] : [Publisher not identified], 1831.
- Physical Description:
-  prints : etchings ; plate marks 26 x 20 cm, on sheets 54 x 38 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 60Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "As to the etchings they are the first of a series I have some thoughts of publishing on the Antiquitys of Scotland but I do not know that they will come to any thing ... it will be in monthly parts, each part to contain 4 or 5 etchings ... to consist of say twenty parts ... their [sic] will only be a hundred impressions of each."--Roberts to Hay, 15 July 1831, NLS. "Circumstances over which I had little control made me leave England and abandon this pet scheme. Spain, Morocco and Syria broke new ground, and so the ruined abbeys and old castles were left."--Roberts to David Laing, 14 Dec. 1859, EUL. Both excepts quoted from Guiterman, p. 101. In a letter of September, 1831, Roberts notes that "not more than 6 impressions" of each print would be made. It appears that Roberts gave most to friends. These are captioned by Roberts in graphite.
Etched throughout, including title page.
The only etchings known to have been made by Roberts. See: Guiterman.
The plates are each printed on India paper.
Guiterman, H. David Roberts (1986), 37a
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary quarter green roan and green cloth. Inscribed in graphite: "To my friend Andrew Mackay Esq. With every kind wish, from David Roberts, [Aug?] 14th, 1863." The plates bear additional captions, in graphite, by Roberts.
- Subject Terms:
- Castles -- Scotland -- Pictorial works.Church buildings -- Scotland -- Pictorial works.Mackay, Andrew -- Presentation inscription from David Roberts.Roberts, David, 1796-1864 -- Presentation inscription to Andrew Mackay.Scotland -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Pictorial works.
- Etchings -- 1831.
Authors' presentation copies (Provenance)
- Roberts' additional graphite inscriptions are lableled "[Inscribed:]" [Title leaf] [Inscribed:] Icolmkill
- Caerlaveroc [Inscribed:] Entrance to the Castle of Caerlaverock, Dumfreishire
- Icolmkill [Inscribed:] Chancel of the Cathedral of Icomkill
- [Inscribed:] East Front of Melrose Abbey
- St. Andrews [Inscribed:] Remains of the Cathedral of St Regulus St Andrews
- Lvchevrs [Inscribed:] Norman Church at Lucheurs Fifeshire
- [Inscribed:] Remains of the Chapel of the Monastery of the Greyfriars St Andrews
- [Inscribed:] Falkland Palace
- Sweet Heart [Inscribed:] Sweetheart Abbey Dumfreishire.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.