Writing exercise books.
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes : illustrations ; 23 x 38 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 62Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Robert Goffin and Alfred Goffin were the sixth and seventh (of eleven) children of the Yarmouth cabinet maker Robert Goffin (1783-1848) and his wife Charlotte, née Hounsom (b. 1785). Both siblings appear to have been implicated in an election bribery scandal in Great Yarmouth, the proceedings for which were published in 1867. In their testimonies, Robert is identified as a baker, and Alfred as a "marine store dealer." The latter admits to receiving bribes from candidates on both sides.
The G. Barrett referred to in each exercise book may be the same as the George Barrett who was elected master of Yarmouth's Blue Coat Charity School in 1852. See: Palmer, F. Yarmouth notes, 1830-1872 (Great Yarmouth, 1889).
In contemporary marbled paper covers, roan-backed.
Three manuscript exercise books (for penmanship) executed by Robert and Alfred Goffin, students at Mr G. Barrett's Classical, Commercial, Nautical & Mathematical Boarding Academy for Young Gentlemen, North Quay, Great Yarmouth, in 1829. Each has a fine decorative calligraphic title-page with a large watercolor headpiece. In two cases this depicts a vivid butterfly, and in the other a Brazilian flycatcher. Each consists of the decorative title and eight leaves of exercises, with writing on the rectos only of each leaf. There is a wide variety of writing styles, and two full-page calligraphic mottoes. Robert and Alfred each contribute one exercise book dated Christmas, 1829. The third is labeled only "midsummer." The writing exercises include practice of Arabic numerals, traditional cursive (italic) and Gothic script (Blackletter).
- Subject Terms:
- Butterflies.Children -- Conduct of life.Goffin, Alfred, 1819?-1898.Goffin, Robert, 1816?-1889.Penmanship -- Study and teaching.School notebooks -- Great Britain.
- Penmanship specimen books.
Calligraphy (visual works)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.