Ackley, Clifford S, Holland on paper in the age of Art Nouveau , 2014
Holland on paper in the age of Art Nouveau / Clifford S. Ackley ; Katherine Harper, research assistant.
- First ed.
- Boston : MFA Publications, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 255 pages : color illustrations ; 28 cm
- Reference LibraryNE667.6.A7 A23 2014 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Published on the occasion of an exhibition held at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, August 10, 2013-February 23, 2014.
In the era of Art Nouveau, from the 1890s through the turn of the century, there was a flourishing of new, imaginative art and craft throughout Europe. Holland also saw an explosion of inventive art and design in this period, including many expressive works on paper - posters, decorative calendars, illustrated books, as well as prints and drawings. The MFA has been actively collecting these Dutch works for the last 25 years, and this exhibition highlights of 45 works early drawings by well-known artists Piet Mondrian and Bart van der Leck, as well as works by such new discoveries as Jan Toorop, Theo Nieuwenhuis, Samuel Jessurun de Mesquita, Theo Hoytema, G.W. Dijsselhof, and C.A. Lion Cachet.
- Subject Terms:
- Art nouveau -- Netherlands -- Exhibitions.Prints, Dutch -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.Prints, Dutch -- 20th century -- Exhibitions.