Stowe, a description of the house and gardens of the most noble and puissant prince, George Grenville Nugent Temple , 1788
- Stowe, a description of the house and gardens of the most noble and puissant prince, George Grenville Nugent Temple : Marquis of Buckingham, Earl Temple, Viscount and Baron Cobham.
- A new edition, with all the alterations and improvements that have been made therein, to the present time.
- Buckingham : Printed and sold by B. Seeley, sold also by G.G.J. and J. Robinson, Pater-noster Row, London, and T. Hodgkinson, at the New Inn at Stowe, 1788.
- Physical Description:
- 54,  pages,  leaves of plates (some folded) : illustrations ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA7625.S86 S86 1788Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Paul F. WalterAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- "Embellished with a general plan of the gardens, and also a separate plan of the house, and of each building, with perspective views of the same".
Dedication signed: B. Seeley.
Engravings by Gabriel (?) Smith; after B. Seeley and W. Fairchild.
Illustrations include "prints drawn in perspective by B. Seeley ... also a plan of the house and offices, and plans of the buildings in the gardens" by W. Fairchild.
Internal plates matching text numbered I-XI.
Includes publisher's advertisement, page .
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in 20th-century quarter calf and marbled boards.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Buckingham (England) -- Buildings, structures, etc. -- Early works to 1800.Buckingham, George Nugent Temple Grenville, Marquess of, 1753-1813 -- Homes and haunts.Country homes -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Hodgkinson, T., -- Publisher.Landscape gardening -- Great Britain.Painting -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Stowe Gardens (England) -- Early works to 1800.Stowe House (Buckinghamshire, England) -- Early works to 1800.
Engravings -- 1788.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.