The compleat drawing-book : containing many and curious specimens, under the following heads : 1. Select parts of the human body. 2. Heads, with the various passions of the soul. 3. Academy and groups of figures. 4. Beasts and birds of various kinds. 5. Landscapes, views, and ruins. : With out-lines to each plate : made easier to the comprehension of beginners than any book of this kind hitherto made publick : the whole neatly engrav'd on one hundred copper-plates, from Le Clerc, Le Brun, Berghem, Barlow, and others the best masters : to which are annex'd, proper instructions to youth for their entertainment and improvement in this art.
- London : Printed for, and sold by Robert Sayer, map and print-seller, at the Golden Buck, opposite Fetter-Lane, Fleet-Street, MDCCLV 
- Physical Description:
- 7,  pages, 100 leaves of plates : illustrations ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC705 .C66 1755Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Engravings by John Miller and W.H. Toms.
Title page printed in red and black.
Plate 68 bears the inscription: "A new drawing book of figures designed & engraved by J.S. Müller - Price 6d."
English short title catalogue, T148934
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary full calf.
Drawing manual, based partially on Le Clerc's Principes de dessein, with examples by Le Brun, Berghem, Barlow, and other masters. The work begins with a brief instruction on techniques for learning to draw. Most plates contain several figures, both in outline and as finished drawings. There are numerous examples of heads, both in outline and as finished drawings, several showing expressions in the style of Le Brun, details of eyes, ears, arms and legs, etc. The final plates show landscapes and views, followed by a number of depictions of animals, such as sheep, cattle and horses, but also a lion and a leopard.
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.
- Drawing books.
Handbooks and manuals.
- IIIF Manifest:
- 1. Select parts of the human body
- 2. Heads, with the various passions of the soul
- 3. Academy groups of figures
- 4. Beasts and birds of various kinds
- 5. Landscapes, views, and ruins.