Dean's new magic picture book : showing wonderful & lifelike effects of real distance & space : book I : contains The Crystal Palace, St. Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, The Thames Tunnel.
- Additional Title(s):
New magic picture book
- [London] : Published by Dean & Son, 11, Ludgate Hill, [between 1857 and 1865]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : illustrations ; 27 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsZ1033.T68 D43 1857+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Dean & Son were active at 11 Ludgate Hill from 1857 to 1865. See: Brown, P. London publishers and printers.
No more published.
With publisher's advertisements on front and rear endpapers, printed on peach paper, and on back cover. Advertisements on rear paste-down include toy books and "moveable coloured picture books, each figure in the book moving in accordance with the tale."
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 6, p. 1158
Hyde, R. Paper peepshows, cat. 272
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original lavender illustrated boards. Inscribed: Edith R. Lanyer. Dulwich.
Comprises four hand-colored peepshow illustrations. Each 5-panel illustration is affixed to a sheet on the lower half of which is a short text describing the scene. The accordion-hinged panels may be telescoped up from the page to create the three-dimension scene.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Crystal Palace Company (Sydenham, London, England)Lanyer, Edith R. -- Autograph.St. Paul's Cathedral (London, England)Thames Tunnel (London, England)Westminster Abbey.
- Cut-paper works.
Publisher's advertisments -- England -- London -- 1857-1865.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.