IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
The fashionable Chinese puzzle, [between 1840 and 1850?]
The fashionable Chinese puzzle.
- Additional Title(s):
- [England?] : [publisher not identified], [between 1840 and 1850?]
- Physical Description:
- 4 pages : illustrations ; 18 cm and 1 tangram puzzle (7 pieces) : wood ; 6 x 6 x 2 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1507.T3 F37 1840 FlatYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Cover title.
Booklet consists of 50 numbered geometrical shapes for the user to construct from the 7 puzzle pieces. Solutions are given to the first 12 puzzles.
The wooden box, containing 7 wooden puzzle pieces, has sliding lid with printed label: The Chinese puzzle.
A volume with this title and cover illustration was first published by J. & E. Wallis in 1817. It included 323 tangram problems. "After the Tangram craze of 1817-1818, about twenty years passed before additional Tangram books were published. In the period 1840-1850, small booklets containing 50 to 100 problems were frequently sold with boxed Tangram pieces as a set. The Tangram books by A. & S. Joseph Myers, John Passmore and most others copied all of their problems from the earlier books ..."--Slocum. The present publication appears to belong to this later period.
Slocum, J. Tangram book, p. 70-74
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original printed paper wrappers. Puzzle in original wooden box, with printed label on box-top.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Lithographs -- 1840-1850.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.