Watson, Mary Grace, 1786-1853, Manuscript copy of Richard Turner's A view of the earth : a short system of modern geography, 1798
- Manuscript copy of Richard Turner's A view of the earth : a short system of modern geography.
- England, 1798.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (72 pages) : maps ; 39 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 64Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- "The Second Baron Sondes left four sons and two daughters. The elder daughter, the Hon. Mary Grace Watson, was born in 1786, and married, 1808, Sir John Henry Palmer, Seventh Bart., of Carlton Park, near Rockingham, and Carlton Curlieu, Leicestershire. She died in 1853. She was the mother of the present Baronet Sir Geoffrey Palmer."--Reports and Papers of the Architectural and Archaeological Societies of the Counties of Lincoln and Northampton, volume 15, page 41.
Mary Elizabeth Milles (Mrs. Lewis Thomas Watson) was the only daughter and heiress of Richard Milles. Her portrait was painted by Joshua Reynolds and Thomas Gainsborough.
Manuscript copy of the chapter "A short system of modern geography" from Richard Turner's A view of the earth (first published 1762). As indicated in an inscription at front, the copy was made by Mary Grace Watson, apparently from a printed version of the work that Mary Elizabeth Milles had given to Watson. Text is written in pen and black ink, in a large and careful cursive, with graphite guide-lines throughout. The copy also reproduces the maps and diagrams that appeared in the published version, along with tables providing geographical details of all of the countries represented. Watson's copies of the maps are simplified, with light use of watercolor.
The text begins with a description of the Earth as a celestial body, with an overview of the Earth's regions, its seasons, and coordinate systems. The remainder of the text describes each continent; each continental description is accompanied by a map and statistical table.
With two inscriptions on front pastedown:  "M.E. Milles. This book was given to me by the Honble. Mary Grace Watson, Octr. 1798, copied from one I gave her."  "Grace Palmer. This book was given to me by my greatgrand mother M.E. Milles, April 18th, 1819."
Bound in contemporary quarter calf and marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Geography.Globes.Milles, Mary Elizabeth, 1767-1818.Palmer, Grace, -1890.Penmanship -- Study and teaching.Watson, Mary Grace, 1786-1853.
- Writing books.
Exercise books (Penmanship)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.