The many headed monster.
- Great Britain? mid-19th century.
- Physical Description:
- 28 silhouettes : cut paper ; album 16 x 13 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC910 .M36 1850Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Bound in contemporary red morocco.
Collection of 28 silhouette profiles cut from small sheets of white paper and loosely inserted in an album of sheets of stiff black glazed paper, by an unidentified maker. The front cover is stamped in gilt (bespoke): "The Many Headed Monster." The profiles include 12 women and 16 men, none identified. Eight of the examples retain the cut-out piece of paper. The profile subjects are likely the family and friends of a well-to-do household, and perhaps designed as an elaborate entertainment in which players had to guess the identity of the subject. There are also two gilt paper frames, one with a backing sheet, into which the silhouettes could be placed. The silhouettes are relatively uniform in size, about 6 x 4 cm, on sheets 11 x 10 cm.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Portraits.
- Cut-paper works.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.