Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, Going to hunt, an easy job , 1823
Going to hunt, an easy job / Hy. Alken delt.
- Additional Title(s):
Going to hunt, 8 o'clock, an easy job
- London : Published by Thos. McLean, Repository of Wit and Humour, 26 Haymarket, 1823.
- Physical Description:
- 1 printing plate : copper ; 26 x 36 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 65Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Numbered at top left: "Pl. 1"
Cased with four of the five other plates in this series (lacking plate 3, Breaking cover).
The original print was titled "Going to hunt, 8 o'clock, an easy job." The words "8 o'clock" were subsequently effaced from the plate.
The original print appeared with series title "Hunting, or, Six hours sport" above the image. In the plate, it has been effaced.
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting I, p. 16
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, Alken 17 (p. 13)
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.), 32
Original copper plate used to print Henry Thomas Alken's Going to hunt, from his series Hunting, or, Six hours sports (London : McLean, 1823). The image depicts three riders on horseback, the rearmost horse apparently resisting the control of his rider.
- Subject Terms:
- Copperplates -- Specimens.Etching -- Great Britain.Fox hunting.Horse sports.Sporting prints.
- Printing plates.
Soft-ground etchings -- 1823.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.