Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, Going to hunt, an easy job , 1823
- Going to hunt, an easy job / Hy. Alken delt.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Going to hunt, 8 o'clock, an easy job
- London : Published by Thos. McLean, Repository of Wit and Humour, 26 Haymarket, 1823.
- Physical Description:
- 1 printing plate : copper ; 26 x 36 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 65Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Original copper plate used to print Henry Thomas Alken's Going to hunt, from his series Hunting, or, Six hours sports (London : McLean, 1823). The image depicts three riders on horseback, the rearmost horse apparently resisting the control of his rider.
Numbered at top left: "Pl. 1"
Cased with four of the five other plates in this series (lacking plate 3, Breaking cover).
The original print was titled "Going to hunt, 8 o'clock, an easy job." The words "8 o'clock" were subsequently effaced from the plate.
The original print appeared with series title "Hunting, or, Six hours sport" above the image. In the plate, it has been effaced.
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting I, p. 16
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, Alken 17 (p. 13)
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.), 32
- Subject Terms:
- Copperplates -- Specimens.Etching -- Great Britain.Fox hunting.Horse sports.Sporting prints.
- Printing plates.
Soft-ground etchings -- 1823.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.