Throwing off, not so easy / Hy. Alken delt.
- Additional Title(s):
Throwing off, 9 o'clock, not so easy
- London : Published by Thos. McLean, Repository of Wit and Humour, 26 Haymarket, 1823.
- Physical Description:
- 1 printing plate : copper ; 26 x 36 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 65Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Numbered at top left: "Pl. 2"
Cased with four of the five other plates in this series (lacking plate 3, Breaking cover).
The original print was titled "Throwing off, 9 o'clock, not so easy." The words "9 o'clock" were subsequently effaced from the plate.
The original print appeared with series title "Hunting, or, Six hours sport" above the image. In the plate, it has been effaced.
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting, hawking, shooting, I, p. 16
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, Alken 17 (p. 13)
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 32
Original copper plate used to print Henry Thomas Alken's Throwing off, plate 2 in his series Hunting, or, Six hours sports (London : McLean, 1823). The image depicts three riders being thrown from their horses.
- Subject Terms:
- Copperplates -- Specimens.Etching -- Great Britain.Fox hunting.Horse sports.
- Printing plates.
Soft-ground etchings -- 1823.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.