The graphic scrap book : a collection of engravings / by Jas. Storer, from original drawings by Mrs. Chas. Rhys ; with descriptions.
- England, 1827.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (, 106,  pages,  leaves of plates) : illustrations ; 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA90 .R49 1827Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Harriet Susanna Anne Rhys (1790-1827), née Horton, was the only daughter and sole heir of Sir Watts Horton. In 1813, she married Major Charles Rhys. The present volume was compiled in the year of her death (1827).
Bound in blind paneled green calf.
Volume of engravings and descriptive text compiled by Harriet Susanna Anne Rhys for her friend Miss M. Hare. The engravings were executed by James Storer after drawings by Rhys that appeared originally in several contemporary publications, including: The antiquarian and topographical cabinet (London, 1807-1811); and The port-folio: a collection of engravings from antiquarian, architectural & topographical subjects, curious works of art, &c. (London: 1823-1824).
In her introduction (pages -), Rhys explains the nature of the volume: "To Miss M. Hare. My Dear Friend: The flattering approbation you bestowed on the print of Clifton Rocks emboldens me to offer to your acceptance a set of engravings, which have been executed at different times from drawings of mine. They were published in three separate works, to which I was a contributor; & will I hope find favour in the eye of friendship, now that they are for the first time collected together. I have added the descriptions, as they were given in the several publications, and trust that what has passed the ordeal of the publick will not be condemned by you, and that when you look over this little volume you will think kindly of your affections H.S.A. Rhys."
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- Antiquities.Herefordshire (England) -- Antiquities.Lancashire (England) -- Antiquities.Rhys, Harriet Susanna Anne, 1790-1827.
-  Crypt of Madley Church, Herefordshire [title page for vol. 9 of the Antiquarian and topographical cabinet
-  Madley Church, Herefordshire
-  Clifford Castle, Herefordshire
-  Front of the shrine of St. Ethelbert, Hereford
-  Shrine of St. Ethelbert, Hereford
-  Monument of Bishop Cantilupe, Hereford
-  Clifton Rocks
-  Knowsley Lancashire
-  The Stand Hill
-  The Colonnade, Knowsley, Lancashire
-  Knowsley (south face)
-  Gold cup in the possession of the Earl of Derby
-  Cave St. Catherine's
-  Careg Cennen Castle.